  • Subject: Re: Free OS/400
  • From: Carel Teijgeler <COTeijgeler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 19:15:31 +0200

At 16:49 29-6-01 -0700, you wrote:

>Now, when OS/2 was announced, it wasn't IBM that sold it to me, it was Bill
>Gates. He did a lot of PR for it saying it was the OS of the future and all
>that. I liked the idea that there were two sources for it, just as there had
>been for DOS. To me, the concept of an industry standard desktop operating
>system that had more than one vendor seemed like a good thing for customers.

Chris,

MS may have sold OS/2 in the beginning, but the above picture is not complete.

In a earliear message you (I think) said OS/2 was a joint venture of IBM
and MS. Windows 2.0 was just a toy for the PC in those days. The "OS of the
future" should look like Windows and MS abandoned the OS/2-project. The
source code written till that moment was handed over to IBM. IBM had to
take another year or two to get the code (and thus OS/2) in such a shape
that it was operational, because MS had made a terrible chaotic piece of
codejunk of it. (if this was done on purpose: say it out loud, spread the
word, inform the government)

Windows 3.0 had been released before OS/2 was: "the OS of the future",
promised for the year 1992 but released in 1995 (and then the whole
community was fooled, because it was still runnig DOS(MS have admitted
that)). The rest is history, how dark as it can be.

Regards,

Carel Teijgeler.