<snip>
2)  <snip>If you are working with a non-green-screen app that you reckon is
bullet-proof, easily maintainable, easily supportable from the desktop
delivery point of view and that doesn't use inappropriate amounts of AS/400
resources - tell everyone about it! <endsnip>
You put so many qualifications in here, that I wonder if you truly want
someone to trumpet, or to find some way to shoot down someone's
application.  I argue that the users don't care if you have to send people
around with CD's to upgrade their application.  They want that application.
There are software tools to help with distribution.
<end>

Oh dear .... I had no intention of sounding negative. I do really want
someone to trumpet - I'm not interested in shooting things down, since to
me it's people's *perceptions* that matter most in this sort of situation.
90% for most of those criteria is perhaps as good as 100% from a perception
point of view (and most of them are subjective anyway). And, truthfully, I
have a load of customers who don't want any new apps installed on their
desktops if they can possibly help it ... they want Web-enabled
applications, but I was trying to be less specific than that.

There are non-green-screen AS/400 apps around that are as good as I
suggest. On a good day I might say that a lot of the Notes applications we
use for our own systems (running on a 720) fitted my criteria.

Honest....
Mandy

P.S. I agree that it's often performance that drives people back to
green-screen. I do it daily when I get fed up waiting for Ops Nav. But
we've just delivered a Web application that allows order enquiries on BPCS.
It's supposed to be a B2B app but it's so much faster than the green screen
equivalent that their customer service people want to use it. I'm not
extolling our virtues here, most of the credit is due to the customer's RPG
programmers who wrote some very fast and effective back end stuff for us,
I'm just making the point that by keeping the logic on the server where
it's sensible to do so, and with carefully planned interfaces between
client and server, you can get just as good results in terms of performance
and make it look good as well!

Notability Solutions Plc.  Registered No. 3293155.
Registered @ Kingfisher House, Frimley Business Park, Frimley,
Surrey. GU16 5SG   U.K.

This message is intended only for the named addressee(s) and may
contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the
named addressee you should not disseminate, copy or take any action
or place any reliance on it. If you have received this message in error
please notify postmaster@Notability.com and delete the message
and any attachments accompanying it immediately.