  • Subject: RE: OpenSource version of WebFacing (was: alternative to WebFacing)
  • From: "Nathan M. Andelin" <nathanma@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 11:38:11 -0600

jt,

This response may be a bit belated.  I was working on a new Web Chat Server
at www.relational-data.com.  This small application is another instance of
how a goal, and a detailed plan provide motivation.  It was hard to put
down - until finished.

There are many steps between forming an idea and implementing a solution for
a project as big as Webfacing.  In my experience, strong leadership is most
critical in the first few phases of the project, then team work is more
critical in the latter.  I'd look for a strong leader to define the
objectives, articulate the benefits, form an organization, and set the
goals.  It may also be necessary for that person to provide detailed
requirements, and overall architecture.  All that must be written.  It takes
a lot of work (and sometimes a miracle) before others will follow.

I may eventually be able to contribute some code (or something).  But my
approach to Web Applications is so different than Webfacing that I'm at a
loss as to how I might contribute.  Webfacing reminds me of GUI/400.  That
product created quite a stir within Marketing and Management at a former
employer of mine.  It promised an easy transition from 5250 to GUI.  But in
the end, most customers preferred 5250 and most new prospects seemed to be
more interested in a Visual Basic like UI.

My work on the Chat Server mentioned above reinforced some of my opinions
about DDS conversion tools like Webfacing.  That application is one that
cried out for frames.  There really is no DDS equivalent to frames.  I don't
have experience with how Webfacing converts DDS.  But I suspect the initial
HTML is not what you'd want to provide to users.  I suspect there's quite a
bit of work after that to make it passable for demonstration.  For me, good
(not great) HTML layout takes just as much time as writing the RPG
application to serve it.

One may use Webfacing to generate a lot of code.  But after the code is
written, it still has to be read, understood, and maintained.  In some
cases, developers may actually spend less time to write the code themselves.
Especially if they've got a few templates to follow.

Nathan M. Andelin
www.relational-data.com