  • Subject: RE: Free OS/400
  • From: Don <dr2@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 10:24:45 -0400 (EDT)

Joe,

I'm hearing simular stuff as well...  NOT that the 400 goes away...the
install base is a bit too big now, but then, how many people used os/2!?
AND, frankly, I see the 400 go the way of the S/38 and os/2...  UH, do you
remember when IBM *DESERTED* thier s/38 clients?  I DO!  I remeber calling
support for help on a S/38 that had crashed and was told to go buy a 400,
we can't help you get back up.  LITERALY!  And how long did you have to
"upgrade" to a AS/400????

I'll mention more in my annual "state of the Midrange" article later this
year, but I look for a consolidated box around late 2002 early 2003,
running in effect what is now os/400, but IBM probably won't market os/400
AS os/400 after that...but since it's the BEST LPAR O/S they have, expect
to see alot of other stuff running, in effect, on top of os/400...and that
includes the mainframers in time...

It's time to get used to the term ESERVER.

It's going to be a ESERVER WORLD (Uh, Wayne, I've already got the url...:)

Bob, I've got a bunch of stuff to add to your missive, but I'll do that
later this weekend...and yes there IS a FREE substitute for websphere,
that loads in about a 1/2 hr, is FAST and is FREE!  NONE of this bullshit
tiered pricing ripoff or bait and switch tactice(at least not to date)
that we've seen with Websphere....  Remember how much hype we heard at the
5.1 announcements (those that knew there actually going to BE a 5.1
announcement!) that Websphere was part of your software
subscription???????

Right now, consider this officially rumour until you hear final thus saith
Somers...but then, how long was "Silverlake" a rumour?

Sounds like the royal loo wants to drain the silver lake...

Don in DC

---------