  • Subject: Eight-inch floppy?! Oh NO! (9406-200)
  • From: "Haase, Justin C." <Justin.Haase@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 07:16:50 -0500

Folks,

Got my hands on a 9406-2xx model.  Has a QIC (2 Gb I think, what is says on
the front anyway), an externally-attached 8-inch floppy drive, 3
chunks-'o-DASD (don't have model numbers of drives - doesn't pertain here),
and a nice, OLD, twinax-connect console.

We have some tapes around here for old releases of the OS conveniently on
QIC.  However, I want to know if it's possible to bust in to this like I can
with a manual-mode and DST right now on V4R5 before trying to find OS tapes.
Oh, here's the kicker - it will IPL to a signon screen in normal mode.  Try
it in manual, and you get an SRC and a system halt before you get to DST - I
will get the SRC if anyone needs it.  Let me know if anyone has some ideas
as to what the best way to go about getting in to this thing would be.
Standard user/password (QSECOFR/QSECOFR, QPGMR/QPGMR, etc...) do not work.
Don't know any other usernames which were present on this system.

Oh!  One more thing - the first time I powered this thing on it went:
BEEEEEEEP!   BEEEEEEP!  BEEEEEEEP! and I said to the guy I was with, "wow,
didn't know these old ones had speakers!"  But about two minutes later, got
an SRC indicating mag media failure.  Remembered back to 1994 when I had a
Mac Plus with a 20 MEG hard disk which if you ever turned it off, you had to
beat the crap out of it to get it to spin back up.  So, cracked the case,
turned on the 400, beat the snot out of the drive, and we were off to the
races.  Nice chuckle for the morning.  Anyway, time to get to work - ideas
are appreciated - thanks!

Justin C. Haase
Midrange Systems Engineer - Kingland Systems Corporation
IBM Certified AS/400 Systems Administrator
IBM Certified AS/400 Professional System Operator
IBM Certified AS/400 Associate System Operator
Microsoft Certified Professional
phone - 641.355.1035
fax - 641.355.1099
cellular - 641.430.6381