  • Subject: RE: A DoS Must Read from Steve Gibson...
  • From: "Bale, Dan" <D.Bale@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 15:54:32 -0400

Title: RE: A DoS Must Read from Steve Gibson...

Ken, I speak not from an expert's point of view, but strictly as someone who desires to learn from all this.  So please feel free to fill in my gaps of missing information.

I have read both the Steve Gibson side and anti-Gibson "sides".  I have learned a lot from S.G. but also see his ego shining through a lot of what he writes.

You say that all operating systems have this capability, except for the previous versions of Windoze.  If your mother or your grandmother has a PC, is it running anything other than Windows?  It would seem that most Linux systems and other systems running non-Windoze OS's would be less vulnerable on the basis that they are being administered by technically-minded folk and would be more likely to be using a firewall.  Therefore, your argument doesn't give me much comfort.

What particular purpose does the enhanced socket serve?  To quote from his lengthy page:

>Let me say it again: This is all COMPLETELY
>UNNECESSARY since no Windows applications have
>ANY need for full Raw Socket support. No VALID
>use exists outside of an Internet research
>setting. Raw Sockets were only included by the
>original Berkeley designers for Internet protocol
>research. In a consumer computer system, they
>will only be exploited for malicious purposes.

I think (but am not sure as to your exact intention) that you supported S.G.'s thoughts on this re: the above paragraph when you say "no real Internet application is going to use these capabilities".  What constitutes a "real Internet application"?  Anything that you and I would legitimately use?  If true, then *why* would the Raw Sockets be implemented?

So what if the current consumer iterations of Windoze already has a "crippled" implementation?  Does that make it O.K. to serve up an implementation far more powerful than a crippled one?  I think not.

Dan Bale
IT - AS/400
Handleman Company
248-362-4400  Ext. 4952