  • Subject: alternative to WebFacing
  • From: Darryl Millington <Darryl_Millington@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 13:32:40 +1000

G'day Jim et al,

> is there an alternative to IBMs WebFacing for a system too
> small to run WebSphere? Prefer without the run-time license
> of like Seagull. Something reliable? jim

Computer Associates (now the owners of COOL:2E formerly Synon/2E which used
to be owned by Sterling Software and prior to them Synon) have just
released a new product that will work on smaller AS/400's without
Websphere. It is code named WEB:2E although they are selling it as the
COOL:2E Web Option (http://www3.ca.com/Press/PressRelease.asp?id=1598%20).

Interesting to note is that you don't really need COOL:2E to use the Web
Option. They haven't released any details of the costs and pre-requisites
(ie. do you really need to purchase COOL:2E to purchase Web Option).
Another valid point is that there is no RUN-TIME licence for the Web Option
as with all of the COOL:2E associated AS/400 products.

It uses a router program on the AS/400 as the interface between 5250 data
stream and the HTML pages which acts as a persistent CGI.

It will convert most screens from the 5250 data stream to HTML very
successfully using it's Just In Time (JIT) converter. Those that couldn't
convert were handled using a skeleton adjustment.

You can build skeletons from DDS that can then be edited using PC based
HTML layout tools - such as FrontPage. These skeletons will be used instead
of the running the JIT processing logic to build them on the fly - saving
in runtime performance.

I've been running an alternative website built in part using COOL:2E Web
Option for running AS/400 (no - I can't come to terms with using
iSeries...) applications. The AS/400 is the smallest Model 150 available
running V4R3.

Want to know more about COOL:2E Web Option?
http://ca.com/products/cool/cool2e.htm

Attend the CA web seminar on the release of WEB:2E -
http://ca.com/seminars/extreme/seminar_info.htm - to find out more.

DISCLAIMER: I don't work for CA! I've just been a user of COOL:2E since
late 1980's.

Regards,

Darryl