  • Subject: RE: i NATION ListServer Confusion/ownership
  • From: John Ross <jross-ml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 13:01:25 -0500

Some times it would be better if they stayed inactive,
see  http://www.midrangecomputing.com/mmu/currentissue.cfm#3

I am not sure if this hurt or helped the As/400. If it got some ones
attention at IBM it might have just helped. Unless that person at IBM is
trying to get rid of the As/400, in which case they are saying it is well
on its way out.

The following is copied from the link above.
"iSeries: Outstanding in Its Field by Timothy Prickett Morgan Is the
iSeries outstanding in its field? Maybe the top brass at J.D. Edwards &
Company, the largest seller of applications for the OS/400 platform and one
of the top five ERP vendors in the world, believes this, and then again,
maybe they don't. If you were at the FOCUS user group for JDE customers
last week, as one of my colleagues at Midrange Computing was, at one point
during the announcement of the new JDE-branded eServer (see the separate
story in this issue), you would have heard C. Edward McVaney, chairman and
CEO of JDE, make the following statement: The AS/400 is a wonderful server
and has been the mainstay of our business in the past. But because IBM
doesn't market it and charges four times what they should, it is viewed as
an old farmer's platform. These days people want a quad server, they don't
want the farmer's server. [Presumably he meant a quad UNIX or Windows
server.] Excuse me, McVaney corrected. I don't want to insult farmers. "

At 10:41 PM 6/18/01 -0400, you wrote:
>[snip]
>
>The iNation offers, at least the possibility, of a better way.  But IMHO
>the iNation can't reach anything close to it's full potential unless the
>Community takes an active role.  Hopefully that will be the focus of this
>new list.

[snip]