  • Subject: Re: i NATION ListServer Confusion/ownership
  • From: Rob Dixon <rob.dixon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 16:33:39 +0100

Portal39@aol.com wrote:

I appreciate your comments and web offer on iSeries Nation.  It might work
for the choir but one hopes, even dreams one day IBM will do something to get
others knowledgeable of this wonderful system.
"Perchance to dream..."

But I would like it to happen in my lifetime, and, however long that may be, I now have 12 years less than when IBM first announced AS/400, with which they should have conquered the world.  Without a paradigm shift in IBM tactics, I will never see it happen.

I took a more careful look at the IBM iSeries Nation site yesterday, having previously dismissed it after just a couple of unrewarding minutes searching.  It did not improve on second reading.  It struck me as a cobbled together, rather bad piece of marketing.  I thought it was meant to be a forum, but if so I found no proper way of contributing and since the "Voices" page was empty, no one was able or bothering to do so.

I don't think that IBM really wants our input even if they pay lipservice to it  In any event, it will not reach the new customers that are so badly needed.

Using the iSeries Nation
theme to move out to the rest of the worlds, get new business opportunities,
aid and build a marketing campaign would be great.  We all want IBM to bring
new customers into the fold, new talent, new opportunities and nothing is
happening from the IBM side.

We knock ourselves out and IBM makes it tougher for us.

The iSeries 400 can only grow so far within the existing boundaries.  New
players have to come in else erosion will wipe out the base to a point that
iSeries no longer contributes solidly to IBMs bottom line.  Once that hits
the system, the people are all history soon to be forgotten.

We are getting our ass wiped from SUN and NT and UNIX for the sake of
advertising to the outside world. Lack of presents. iSeries Nation was
created NOW USE IT AS A BASE and Mantra. Write on sidewalks, the sides of
taxis, buses, in  the captive   airplane  magazines, financial and industry/
trade papers.

I think that there is more to it than advertising but that would be a great start.  IBM also needs to have a much lower priced entry point (Thinkpad with both OS/400 and Windows) and also to ensure that students at all levels have access to iSeries so that when they start their first job they are accustomed to using (and so have heard of) the iSeries and not just Wintel as at present.

The new list mentioned by jt is not on iSeries Nation but a general list, totally independent of iBM, set up on Ignite to separate technical posts from more general ones so that the one group does not get flooded by the other.

If you don't want to join this but care, as it seems you do, do you have a better approach than communicating via a mailing list to try and work out some plan of action?

Best wishes

Rob

Erros plc

44 (0) 1844 239 339