  • Subject: RE: Making command parameters off-limits
  • From: "alan shore" <SHOREA@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 08:11:24 -0400

The idea of purchasing any other software is NO option.
Sorry, not my idea, but I play by the golden rule. He who has the gold (my
paycheck) sets the rules.
as far as Auditing and Information security is concerned, well lets just say
that because we are a thrift, they also follow the golden rule.
Thanks for the reply.

>>> Jim Damato <jdamato@dollargeneral.com> 06/18/01 07:30PM >>>
Do you back up your spooled files?  If your Auditing and Information
Security folks (sounds like a fun-loving group) are concerned about users
trashing operators' spooled files, how do they feel about losing all spooled
files in the event of a system failure?

This doesn't seem like the answer you're looking for, but I've been using
Broderick's Spool Organizer for years.  When set up properly it can provide
you with online or tape copies of your critical spooled files.  Everything
is saved in UDB/400 files, which can be a part of a real backup.  Users can
be set up with access to spooled files within the system for reprints on
online viewing and can be secured from change or deletion of critical
reports.  And you can set up clean, meaningful rolling purges of online
spooled data.

I imagine there are competitive products, and some of this can be
accomplished with TAATOOLS and some creative programming.

I brought in Broderick years ago when I was trying to deal with the issues
you're attempting to resolve now.  No one wanted to admit that spooled files
are critical data, but they are on most systems.  Once you admit that  some
online reports are critical you have to face issues that go beyond
accidental deletion.

-Jim

James Damato
Manager - Technical Administration