If you use MBR(*ALL), the limit is 32. However, if you add each member
individually, you can go above this limit. Real PITA (and, IMHO,
nonsensical), but that's the way it is. You can automate this process by
doing a DSPFD *MBRLIST into an outfile and then writing a CL to use the
outfile to add the members one at a time (that's the way I ended up
handling it).

I know it can be done -- I did it about three years ago (summer of 1998,
doing Y2K conversion on an early RISC box -- V3 something, as I remember).
Right now today we have logical files on our system with over 150 members.
(Hey -- I didn't design this system; I just work on it!)

hth

PS: the real fun comes when you try to automate re-creating joined
logicals over pfs with more than one member. . . . :-)

MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com writes:
>OK, now that I've gone out on a limb I've decided to do some testing.
>I've
>got a physical file with 121 members, and a logical file that is
>traditionally used for single member to single member reference.  When I
>try
>to ADDLFM based on that physical specifying MBR(*ALL) I get the following
>errors:
>
>More than 32 members specified on DTAMBRS.
>Member MEMBER not added to file FILE in LIBRARY.
>
>This is on V4R5.  We can have 121 logical file members each based on
>single
>physical file members, but I don't see a way to base a single logical file
>member on more than 32 members.  Have I missed something?
>
>James Damato
>Manager - Technical Administration
>Dollar General Corporation
><mailto:jdamato@dollargeneral.com>