  • Subject: Re: Host Print Transform and printing graphics
  • From: Philipp Rusch <Philipp.Rusch@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 22:24:07 +0200

Hello Rick,

I assume you are printing to some kind of HP PCL compatible Laser Printer.
So why not producing PCL-code for this kind of device and send it directly
from your application to that printer without further transformation ?
There has been a great source and discussion for this on (thanks again, Pete)

http://www.execpc.com/~pbhall/formoverlay.html

I used the examples myself at a customers site to print labels with barcodes
and logos and AS/400 data of some old RPG application.
This has been a high volume job there, too (some 5-15.000 labels a day)
and we even stored the logos in a flash eprom inside the printer, so we would
only send the PCL5-macro to call the logo, size it and place it on the label.
Unfortunately I cannot give you the sourcecode because this project has been
taken over by another softwarehouse - former partner :-( .
Okay, the alternative is:  to use IPDS, but not with 423x matrix-printers, like
you were thinking, there are IPDS solutions for lasers as well.
Even PC lasers (like the Lexmark Optra R , S and T, which I would prefer
for this job) can be upgraded with "IPDS-SIMMs" and can understand IPDS-
datastreams from an AS/400 system natively. This works over Ethernet or
Token-Ring (with the standard netwotk ports of those printers) as well as with
Twinax interfaces which are also avlaible for the Lexmarks. But this depends
on your cabling infrastructure. For "high volume" jobs I would certainly prefer
the LAN interfaces ...
The only argument against IPDS is the price and I remember there was some
kind of rather expensive licpgm needed to print on faster printers than 16 ppm.
(Was it PSF/400 ? It was about 6.500 DEM for a P10, this is about 3000 US$)

Regards from germany, Philipp Rusch

| EDV Beratung Rusch          EDP Consulting Rusch                |
| Philipp Rusch               Mailto: Philipp.Rusch@rusch-edv.de  |
| Am Errlich 9                WWW   : http://www.rusch-edv.de/    |
| D-61191 Rosbach,                                                |
| Germany                                                         |
| Phone: (+49) 6003 3972      Mobile : (+49) 172 89 86 230        |
| Fax  : (+49) 6003 3795                                          |