  • Subject: RMT DEVICESTS & ODUDAT
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 11:29:43 EDT

I need to periodically "regenerate" a "map" that inventories what all devices
are connected to our 400 & ideally find some reasonably painless way to redo
this from time to time without having to physically visit all connections in
person, if that is a practicality, since I am lazy, and the hand of cards
dealt me by management does not include buying additional resource.

I am a twinax guy, working RPG/400 Query/400 some SQLs talking at y"all from
my home PC.
Perhaps someone can steer me towards a more relevant useful 400 menu,
command, or API, than what I mention in this posting.

Recently, thanks to big help here & on BPCS_L, I got *OUTFILE from DSPOBJD of
*DEVD & this has been of immense value to me in managing work station members
that BPCS saturates many files & data areas with, many named after work
stations we not got anymore, so periodic clean up needed/

I noticed field ODUDAT last used date in this stuff & thought
"Great, I can use this to identify object names we not using any more, to
help identify what is time for deletions."

Unfortunately, the "last used date" is not what I thought it meant, since
addresses I used 6/11, and have been using every day every week ... according
to this I not used since 5/18.
Some of what I know was used 6/11 does in fact say last used 6/11 & some
don't.

Is there a pattern to that?
It is correct for a bunch of addresses that are connected by twinax.
It is incorrect for some addresses connected by twinax.
Ditto Local, Remote, Real Twinax devices, actually PCs via twinax.
It is correct for some virtual PCs ... then there are devices that I do not
know when the last time they connected ... I had been hoping this would help
me.
It might be brand name device specific.

Anyhow, what I wanted was to get at a date that identifies the last time this
device was used - powered on - signed on - user did something ... I have that
kind of date for files & other objects - I assume I just looking in the wrong
place for this ... there are a bunch other dates in the *OUTFILE ... I looked
at them & they seemed to be correctly labeled as to function.

So that is part of one question / detour.

Another thread

GO DEVICESTS Option 10 gets "map" of local WRKCFGSTS logical twinax
arrangement without having to remember controller names to use with PRTDEVADR
except I also want this for our REMOTE devices, that is to say those other
than DSPLCL & PRTLCL on the *DEVD *OUTFILE, such as DSPRMT & PRTRMT.  Now we
do not have a remote 400 so GO CMDRMT is not relevant.

PRTDEVADR does "work" with remote *CTL names found on WRKCFGSTS and GO CMNCFG
(Communications Configuration) option 1 although the picture lacks the eye
candy of GO DEVICESTS 10 picture.

One thing I was looking for was access to the PORT address switches when you
drill down to the details of WRKCFGSTS individual devices so that perhaps I
could create a home grown map, but WRKCFGSTS & DSPDEVD won't go to *OUTFILE &
WRKDEVD is really a DSP.

I hope I am overlooking some command or menu or API that will get me this
info.

I talked to my NT guy & asked him if anything similar available on his side,
thinking that we might cobble together 400 spool to PC plus whatever he can
get & put result like in binder with most of the reports automatic & minimum
us transcribe.

He is in the same boat & he suspectis it is for hacker security reasons.
He can poke into story on a single address like we in WRKCFGSTS can view data
or take options to print story on individual connections, but there does not
appear to be any GLOBAL print the info we want on *ALL devices which we might
then feed into some kind of a map of what we have connected.