  • Subject: Problems with Query on V4R5
  • From: "Murphy, Guy" <murphy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 10:29:31 -0500

Title: Problems with Query on V4R5

        Has anyone had some of their queries not work the same since upgrading to V4R5? We've have a set of queries that use three files and print out text fields on the report in FIFO order in effect writing a paragraph of information on the report.  These text fields are not used as key fields in the report and are not used as sort fields in the query.  After upgrading to V4R5 these fields are now being printed on the reports in alphabetical order, which makes them rather useless as a paragraph of information.

        IBM says that the query optimizer has been improved for performance in V4R5 and that it's working as designed.  Therefore, it's not a problem and they will not work on solving it.  To me, the optimizer has gone psychotic and is doing more work that is required.  It's takes a non-key, non-sort field and makes a sort field.  IBM recommends either rewriting the queries in SQL using record sequence order or adding a new field to the files and using it as a sort field to get the text fields to print properly.  Some of these queries have been around since V2R3. Is there any solution to this problem that doesn't require us to rewrite all of these queries or do we have to bite the bullet and rewrite?

Guy Murphy - murphyfa@uiuc.edu
FACTS system - University of Illinois
217-333-8670
www.heisercoaching.com