  • Subject: Re: API to retrieve TCPIP address of the client?
  • From: rob@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 17:14:35 -0500

Well, if it wasn't too ugly for his list to process, he could display the
following:
file://as400name/ifsdir/filename1
file://as400name/ifsdir/filename2
And any PC with a recent version of client access express would
automatically open the file with the appropriate program, providing the
extension on the filename is valid.  The user would just double click on
the file name.  So it's either worry about whether the PC has:
a)  The client access remote command server loaded so that you can use
RUNRMTCMD, or,
b)  A ftp server loaded and active, or
c)  A recent version of Client Access so that the double clicking would
work, or,
d)  The Client Access parts to get STRPCCMD working.

I am sure that he considered a dumb terminal.  At some point you have to
stop programming for the lowest common denominator.  I bet you use function
keys don't you?  You know how hard these are to use if you have an ascii
workstation controller and some of the various ascii terminals out there?
Do you test for terminal types and program your screens based on whether or
not they handle function keys?  No, I bet not.  I don't even check for 80
vs 132 column anymore.  It's cheaper to upgrade the devices.

Granted, some of this stuff comes back to haunt you:  telnet, portable
devices, lack of color, etc.  Maybe polyester leisure suits will come back
too.

Rob Berendt

==================
A smart person learns from their mistakes,
but a wise person learns from OTHER peoples mistakes.

                    Chris Rehm

                    <javadisciple@earth        To:     MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com

                    link.net>                  cc:

                    Sent by:                   Subject:     Re: API to retrieve
TCPIP address of the client?
                    owner-midrange-l@mi

                    drange.com

                    06/08/2001 04:36 PM

                    Please respond to

                    MIDRANGE-L

Well, if the intent is to retrieve a file from the AS/400 based on a
selection made via file, there might be a couple of other considerations.
What if the client doesn't have an IP address? I think you'd want to
check and see if you are being run by a dumb tube before you run your
app. Then you need to push your file, which will require the workstation
to be ready to receive it by running some hosting app (ftp, CA, etc.).

I would think it would be a lot simpler to write a pc based app (say, in
Java) that fetches the file list, and then issues an ftp request from
that app. But that's all guesswork from someone who just doesn't know
the real problem.

One reason I like the idea of using Java for such a task is that the
same app that makes the SQL request to fetch the list of files can also
thread the ftp request and save the file to the local machine, so any
machine which can run the app, is qualified to run it. No need to worry
about requesting IP addresses or if the PC making the request can
receive a pushed file.

--
Chris Rehm
javadisciple@earthlink.net