  • Subject: Re: start-up program QSTRUP
  • From: "John Earl" <johnearl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 22:40:44 -0700

> 1.  Can I safely use CHGJOB LOG(4 00 *SECLVL) LOGCLPGM(*YES) in this
program?
> We made a change to this program that supposedly did not do what it
was
> supposed to, but we have no record of whether or not this is true.
We would
> like to be able to look at the job log for the startup program to
check this.

Sure.  But unless you are using the job description QGPL/QSTRUPJD for
something else, I'd make the change to the job description so that
your logging level is not married to the program.

> 2.  When I insert new commands to run, I believe I need to at least
duplicate
> IBM's effort to monitor for escape messages.  IBM uses MONMSG
MSGID(CPF0000) .
>  Is that enough?  I thought I have seen in the past where the
absolute
> catch-all MONMSG monitored for CPF0000, CPF9999, & MCH0000.  Yea or
nay?  What
> happens if a command fails and a message is issued waiting for a
reply?  Will
> the console ever show a signon screen?

This is a safety mechanism that IBM put's in to ensure that the
QSTRUPPGM completes.  It is good to emulate the practice.

Even if your program does blow up, the console will get a signon
screen because at the point that the QSTRUP program is run, the
controlling subsystm (usually QCTL, or QBASE) is already started.

> 3.  Doesn't it seem odd that IBM qualifies all the commands except
the MONMSG,
> IF, CALL, and others?  Don't these also have the same exposure to
being
> "hijacked" by another library higher than QSYS in the library list?
Is it
> possible to have a library higher than QSYS during the normal
execution of
> this command at IPL?  (Possibly the QSYSLIBL system library list?)

I'd never thought about it, but yeah, it is odd that they don't
qualify the MONMSG.

The reason I think that they qualify all other commands has less to do
with security than it does with integrity.  If you have modified the
STRSBS command and placed it into a library that is higher than QSYS,
your STRSBS command will be run.   But IBM really wants the QSTRUP to
finish, so they are not going to take the chance that your STRSBS
command is buggy and refuses to start some subsystem.  If they qualify
all commands to QSYS, they're more certain that things will run
correctly at startup.  Now if you wanted to you could change any of
this, including the qualified library name, but at that point you're
responsible for making sure it all starts up correctly.

And yes it is possible (and likely) that you'll encounter a library
that is higher than QSYS in the system portion of the library list.

jte