  • Subject: RE: Unix APIs, stream files, codepages and the like
  • From: "Goodbar, Loyd (AFS-Water Valley)" <LGoodbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 08:06:37 -0400

Joe,

I have the following in one of my service programs. Notice the "437" on the
open function, that's the code page you need. Also, due to how the open unix
API works, you must open the file twice, at least when creating files. The
first time, you set the flags on the file and the code page - this creates
the file. (I assume you want to create new files when you do this.) Close
the file, then open for write privileges. Since the file is created,
codepage 437 (ascii) is already attached to the file, and data conversion is
automatic. Note on the second open I did not include security flags or a
code page.

HTH,
Loyd

Sorry for the verbose code...

c                   eval      ifsopenflags =
c                             o_readwrite +
c                             o_create +
c                             o_truncate +
c                             o_codepage
c                   eval      ifssecbits =
c                             s_orwx +
c                             s_grwx +
c                             s_wr
c                   eval      descriptor = Open( %trim(Location) :
c                             ifsopenflags : ifssecbits : 437 )
c                   if        descriptor = -1
c                   eval      returncode = FAILURE
c                   return    returncode
c                   endif
c                   eval      rc = Close( descriptor )
c                   if        descriptor = -1
c                   eval      returncode = FAILURE
c                   return    returncode
c                   endif
c                   eval      ifsopenflags =
c                             o_writeonly +
c                             o_textdata