  • Subject: Re: New Subject: Series/1
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 14:25:44 EDT

Al thanks to past discussion here & similar groups - most of the URLs in this
post originated in cut & paste from other people who answer Al dumb questions
in the past & continue to answer my questions today.

>  From:    Justin.Haase@Kingland.com (Haase, Justin C.)
>
>  For us "New to the AS/400-iSeries world" folks, could someone give some
>  background on the Series/1 and perhaps a website or two a person could
>  navigate to?  Thanks!
>
>  Justin C. Haase
>  Midrange Systems Engineer - Kingland Systems Corporation
>  IBM Certified AS/400 Systems Administrator
>  phone - 641.355.1035

How can you be new to this area & also certified in it?
Or am I misreading your title ...
You are administrator of people who are certified, but you are not?

I am assuming that when you say "Series/1" you are doing a misprint of
"i-Series" & not referring to the IBM Series/1 that I worked on for a while
at one employer before the S/38 was rebranded into the AS/400.  Series/1 is a
totally different animal, kind of an IBM imitation of Microsoft talent in
creating periodic Blue Screens of Death.

We used a non-IBM system on it known as RPL - Oh God I am glad to no longer
be in that environment, it was like a step back in time to Symbolic Assember
where the OS wasn't smart enough to keep track of its own disk space.  I am
also glad to be no longer doing Symbolic Assembler, which was a programming
language of the punched card era.

It could be that what my employer at the time was running on Series/1 was a
bit brain dead & that colored my impressions.  They had outgrown their S/34
(this was also before the S/36 was announced) & had decided that for a
solution they would move their accounting applications from S/34 to this
other package on S/1 & I had been hired as programmer to help with that
project.

I tried to explain that S/34 RPG was much more business friendly than S/1 RPL
& that rather than having one major application on S/34 & another major
application on S/1, the business would be better served by having two S/34
interconnected via a modem-eliminator so that they could also act as backup
to each other ... if you have major downage, the business continues, because
you got good backups & a computer that can run any of your applications,
although not all at same time.

My lesson got driven home after a few episodes of one computer or another
down for a couple of weeks waiting on IBM parts, so they decided I was right
& since they were not going to do this conversion after all, they did not
need me, so I was out of that job.  Another reason the whole episode has a
bit of a bad taste in my mouth memories.

Continuing with my assumption which could be totally bogus as usual.

IBM has about a million web sites - here are a miniscule sampling

Some of these URLs that I have not visited in a while may have changed due to
IBM rebranding

http://www.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/nation/
http://www.iseries.ibm.com/handbook/v4r5/
http://www.as400.ibm.com/encycl/volume.htm
http://www.as400.ibm.com/db2/db2main.htm
http://www.as400.ibm.com/clientaccess/
http://www-3.ibm.com/services/learning/community/as400/pie.html
http://www.training.ibm.com/ibmedu/spotlight/as400.html

Do you remember how you signed up for MIDRANGE-L?
Get to the home page of www.midrange.com & go exploring the links there

There are many other independent efforts like midrange dot com, although
structured quite differently in mixture of services & information access,
such as

http://www.as400journal.com/
http://400times.co.uk
http://www.midrangesystems.com/

Or you might go to the Cincinnati Ohio User Group - click on their links page
- then click on Kent Anderson

http://www.tsmug.org

Or for a little bit of cynical historical prespective,
read the essays on "State of the Midrange" at

www.wash-midrange.org

Or other historical perspective that is more IBM friendly such as

http://itknowledge.com/reference/1882419669.html

and what are the differences between NT & AS/400 - you could look in recent
archives of this forum or

http://www.as400.ibm.com/conslt/nt.htm

There are also major independent trade publications on i-Sieries & AS/400 ...
I hesitate to call these places mere "sites" they are more like a cross
between Library of Congress & the C-Span of an on-line computer conference

http://www.as400network.com
http://www.midrangecomputing.com/forums/
http://www.as400magazine.com

There is also coverage of i-Series & AS/400 by major computer trade
publications that are independent of our world

http://www.infoworld.com/news/as400.html
http://www.ddj.com/articles/2000/0065/0065f/0065f.htm