  • Subject: RE: LPARS (was NT vs. AS/400)
  • From: "Bob Crothers" <Bob2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 12:29:02 -0500

John,

VMWare is NOT a boot manager.  It is hard to explain adequately, but
your WinNT/2K or Linux box is booted, up and running.  Then you start
VMWare.  A window opens up and in that window, a BIOS boot takes place
followed by your OS of choice...all within that window.  Your other
stuff keeps on running.  2 separate OS's.

The Host OS (the primary) must be WinNT/2K or Linux.  The guest OS (the
one in the window) can be just about ANY Intel based OS.  Including
Win95/98/ME/NT/2K/XP, Various Linux flavors, BeOS, and many more.

Want to play with Linux?  But don't want to risk messing up your
current OS?  Load it into a virtual machine.  Do your Development under
Win2K but need to test under the various flavors of windows?  Load it
into a VM.

You all most need to try it to understand.  And they have a free trail
download.

Bob