  • Subject: Re: NT vs AS/400
  • From: "Nathan M. Andelin" <nathanma@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 11:27:02 -0600

> The real question, is what does all this bode for our
> careers as OS/400 professionals? Obviously, there
> will still be work for some years to come.  However,
> demand *will* fall off on a gradual basis, as is common
> for a mature market. Again, we only need to look
> around with our eyes open to see that this has already
> begun. With the possible exception of a few hot spots
> across the continent, demand for RPG programmers
> has declined over the past decade.

A year or so ago, Roger Pence advised in one of his columns that RPG was
dying.  I think people have been predicting the death of RPG since its first
release.  A record of  RPG compiler sales over the past decade might
strengthen one's ability to predict.  I don't think IBM shares that
information with the public.  On the other hand, IBM continues to enhance
RPG.  And one member of the RPG Compiler team stated in answer to my query
about the Roger Pence article, that more people were doing more things with
RPG than at any time in its history.

Part of my fastination with RPG is its stability.  Let me illustrate with an
example.  I'm familiar with a large hotel in Salt Lake City that runs most
of its business with home-grown RPG programs.  Reservations.  Check in.
Check out.  Movie Rentals.  Credit Card Authorizations and Clearing.
Accounting.  Financial Reports.  Even the electronic locks and door keys are
ultimately controlled by RPG programs.  One interesting point, is that much
of the code for the system was written in the mid to late 80's.  This is a
perfect example of lower cost of ownership.  If the original code had been
written on an Intel platform, it would have probably gone through multiple
iterations of rewrites by now.

One more interesting point.  The AS/400 that supports the Hotel System,
along with about 20-30 active terminals has only 96 meg of RAM.  That
underscores the efficiency of RPG.  The use of RPG is probably a drop in the
bucket in comparison to Visual Basic.  But my feeling is that RPG programs
probably run more critical operations than VB programs.  At least in
business settings.

I previously considered the lack of a GUI to be a major RPG handicap.  I was
explaining this to one of my non-technical coleagues and suggested that he
might be interested in learning Visual Basic.  Ironically both of us were
working on a Web based Reservation System for the hotel I mentioned in the
example above.  He was representing the user group that sponsored the
system.  I was using CGI at the time.  He looked at the browser and said.
Well, isn't that an RPG GUI?

I don't know for sure whether RPG has been dying, or not.  One thing I do
know is that Web technologies, and a browser based GUI, have the potential
of breathing new life into RPG.  It makes sense to move more function back
to the server rather than out to the client.  The trick is to come up with a
framework that makes a Web interface as easy to write and maintainable as a
5250 screen.

Nathan.