  • Subject: Re: NT vs AS/400
  • From: John Hall <jhall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 11:36:57 -0400

The reason project lightning died is that there were other well
established products that did the same thing.  IBM decided it could also
make some money in that area but it couldn't catch up.

Check out www.missystesm.com  ACE/400
or
www.systemobjects.com  Delphi/400, JACi400, ActiveObjects/400 (Visual
Basic) ...

I am sure there are others too.

IBM should have dumped the money into marketing the other products
instead of trying to compete with them.

IMHO these products are great ways to integrate the AS400 into the PC
world.  They let you write in C++, Visual Basic, Delphi, Java etc. on
the PC side while giving you record level access on the 400 side.  You
can write any processing you want to on the 400 side in SQL, CL, RPGIV
etc.  Only minor changes are needed to switch a program from using an MS
SQL Server to an OS400 Server.

John Hall