  • Subject: RE: NT vs AS/400
  • From: "jt" <jt@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 11:23:31 -0400

Glenn,

Mr. Zeitler also said "And I think Frank Soltis and the people in Rochester
broke the code on this some time ago."  I hate to put words into Mr.
Zeitler's mouth.  But I believe he is referring to when the AS/400 first
came out in 1988.  They built in the capability to run S/38 style programs
and AS/400 programs simultaneously.  (That may not seem like much, but a
"CLP38" program refers to objects by "objectname.library" where the 400
"CLP" uses "library/objectname".)  So the 400 has these two "personalities".

Plus it can also be run in S/36 mode by setting a system value.

And then a few years ago they added PASE.  I have no idea how that's
implemented; but it's pretty amazing stuff.  No matter how it's done, from
my point of view I see the iSeries having 4 distinct OS personalities.  I
don't know about S/36 mode, but I'm pretty sure the rest can be run
simultaneously.

That seems, to me anyway, like the SLIC is already something like a
"hypervisor".  I don't know if that's what Mr. Zeitler meant, though.

I never heard of PLIC.  If that's Partition LIC that runs LPAR, then it sure
does give the iSeries even more capabilities to run different OS like Linux,
etc.

J. Toran (jt)