Hi John,

Welcome to the discussion.

When I read what you've written about joblogs, error reporting, hardware
independence and so forth, I feel like we're kindred spirits. :)  These are
the things that all of us on this list appreciate so much about this great
system. No one is arguing that NT or the random command name generator known
as *nix is a better overall system than OS/400. What we're (sorry, what
*I'm*) saying, is "at what price greatness"?

There comes a point where the TCO numbers that used to work in favour of the
AS/400 begin to work against it. At the low end of the market --$100K or
less-- we've already reached that point. Maybe IBM's unofficial propaganda
machine --Gartner-- hasn't declared it yet, but as Jim would say, "I don't
need no stinkin' study" to know it's true. However, this is an artificial
situation created by IBM Corporate, not by the technology.

John, I know you as a tireless champion of this platform. I've read your
comments on this list, and on many different forums across the net. I
suspect that you're one of the ones who won't let go of that black box in
the corner unless they pry it from your cold, dead fingers. :)  I respect
that, and even admire it to a certain degree, but I don't share your level
of commitment. The reason for that is because I don't see IBM sharing your
level of commitment. At best, they've been sending mixed signals for a long
time now.

Being a pragmatist, I don't believe that you can be effective with your
ground roots marketing campaign while IBM actively works against you. They
freely dispense the rhetoric, and occasionally throw the dog an iSeries
Nation bone, but these things are overshadowed by the more significant
actions of their marketing department.

My own responsibility is not to IBM, but to my employer. I'm paid to manage
the IT resources within our organization. That means that I need to strike a
careful balance by keeping one foot in the stable technology of the past in
order to minimize costs, yet keep the other foot far enough forward on the
bleeding edge that we don't get caught with our pants down during a
technology shift. I can't allow personal biases to cloud my judgement. The
fact that I dislike *nix is something that I must put aside while evaluating
which technology will provide the best ROI for the organization. If I were a
consultant, I'd have the same responsibility to my clients.

Nowadays, it's becoming increasingly difficult to avoid the conclusion that
*nix, and in many cases W2K, haven proven to be the right tool for many a
job. Jobs which, traditionally, I would have delegated to the AS/400. Those
platforms are continually maturing, while the AS/400 struggles with it's
identity, and it's associated place in the market.

John Taylor
Canada