  • Subject: Re: NT vs AS/400
  • From: "Jim Franz" <franz400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 05:46:45 -0400

With all the claims & counter claims flying back & forth, I have not seen
any real presentation of real statistics to back up either claim. Somewhere
deep with IBM I know they exist, and IBM does make many announcements about
the reliability of the AS400 hardware & microcode. I DO beleive the iSeries
is far more reliable than NT (an operating system, not hardware)servers,
even the IBM servers. I have worked in several large shops, with over a
hundred as400s, and many NT's (Compaq and IBM, and over a thousand pc's. It
was like nite & day. The 400 disk drive problems (very few in many years)
were usually if the ups was not connected right. Even when properly power
protected, the NT's suffered many disk problems. If there were 2-3 disk
problems with over a hundred as400's, we had 5 times that in the NT servers
and 10 times that in desktop disk problems. In all cases the 400 drives were
"pumped".
Not truly statistical, but I have seen the same pattern in every shop I've
worked in. I don't need no stinkin' study to tell me the iSeries400 hardware
is far more reliable. I would gladly pay a premium for that.
jim