  • Subject: Re: NT vs AS/400
  • From: Neil Palmer <neilp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 11:51:42 -0400

Not that it justifies the entire price difference, but you are not
comparing apples with apples here.  There's more to the disk unit than the
base disk enclosure.  Rochester adds the controller & microcode to those
drives (what gives it better reliability, predictive failure analysis
capabilities, and ability to work with the IO processors).  There is
obviously some overhead costs associated with that work that are added to
the price of the disk unit.  (And when you buy 3rd party disk like BCC you
don't get those controllers or microcode, which is why some disk related
PTF's won't work with non-IBM disk, and in fact could cause problems).

...Neil

"Avi Hecht" <avi_hecht@hotmail.com>
Sent by: owner-midrange-l@midrange.com
2001/05/31 15:14