Just for kicks, I did a configuration on IBM's website using their top-end xSeries line. Note that this server might (IMO) be huge overkill for 50 web-users. I'm not familiar with the Lawson package so I can't really offer an informed opinion regarding the sizing.

Hardware
xSeries 250
Dual Pentium Xeon 700Mhz processors
2MB Cache
1GB Ram (ECC Chipkill)
9.1GB Ultra160 SCSI Drives X 4 for 36GB DASD
Ultra160 RAID Controller
Standard floppy, CD-Rom, etc.

(this unit includes all the goodies: hot swap drives, PCI, power, and fans)

Price as configured: $11,813.00 U.S.

Software
W2K Server with 25 Base CALS
25 Additional CALS

Price: $2797.00

Total price: $14,610 U.S.

This is all full retail pricing, before discounts of any kind have been applied. I'd say there is a good chance that your BP has included some extra cost for the Lawson software in his estimate.

John Taylor
Canada