  • Subject: Re: AS400 V4R4 File Sizes Needed, Please Help...
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 11:51:32 EDT

I suggest you repost this to BPCS_L since there are many native BPCS tools to
solve much of what you need, and many many BPCS_L people who can give you
specific 400 code needed to fill the gaps.

> From: Forwiw@aol.com

(on Midrange_L)

>         Hello All,
>
>   Is there a way to list all the files and file sizes in a given library?

DSPLIB F4 specify library such as where most of our BPCS files are located,
and there are ways to limit what is displayed, to exclude program artifacts &
you end up with a nice chart listing the files & their gross sizes.  This
sort of data can also go to an *OUTFILE ... we have this in IBM scheduler to
run a report regularly that shows # records coded for deletion times size of
file equals disk space that can be recovered via reorg, sorted so the most
needed for reorg is at top of list.

>  I tried the DSPFD with *outfile but the file size is not available.

You need to do F4 & try out the different combinations.
File Size is available - but you have to hit the right combination.

>  The reason I need this is I would like to know, in descending order,
>  what files are taking up the most room in our production library.
> Then I can determine what needs to get done with these files, purge,
>  etc.
>
>               We are running BPCS version 6.01.01 Mixed Mode.
>
>               Any help, will be greatly appreciated.
>
>               SS
>               In BPCS Land

I suggest you repost this to BPCS_L & check the BPCS archives.

http://archive.midrange.com/bpcs-l/index.htm

There has been A LOT OF TRAFFIC with respect to variations on this topic.

There is a BPCS option - SYS menu/23 to reorg menu/12 (run it when no one
else on BPCS) which reorgs 99% of the BPCS files to get rid of both hard &
soft deleted records.  It also makes performance superior for programs that
are accessing the files that got reorged.

There are check lsits that have been shared via BPCS archives.
What stuff should be run monthly, weekly, etc. to get rid of unwanted
records, such as inventory work areas that have zero on hand & have had zero
activity for months.  This excess can build up a lot of glut cluttering
visibility & access to what is in fact active.

There are rules for how long to retain certain records & 3rd party systems
that work with BPCS to improve the archiving capabilities.

There is also disk space wasted with excessive numbers of members & data work
areas ... we had files with in excess of 500 members that are all empty.  You
have to know what to look for.

Don't forget about BPCS LITE at
http://www.unbeatenpathintl.com/services.html

Cleaning up BPCS wasted space can be a full time job.
Or, you can buy some software that finds it for you.

When you install BPCS, it creates thousands of files, but depending on your
system parameter settings & application combinations being used, you might
only have need for a fraction of those files that were created.  Even though
those files have zero contents, thousands of empty files do not take up zero
space on your 400, and can be a distraction.

I have had end users come to me with a problem with a query/400 not giving
them the expected results, because they looked at the list of files, found
one that seemed relevant & unbeknownst to them it was one of the empty files
that BPCS adds to our collection to make life interesting - the user probably
expended many hours on this before coming to ask me for help.

But which of these files that are now empty are in fact work files in some
process that we do need to keep?

You can research this yourself, of buy BPCS LITE from an outfit that has done
the research work.  I have been unable to persuade my management to buy BPCS
LITE, so I have been nibbling on reinventing what they already know.

AS/400 Data Manager & Programmer for BPCS 405 CD Rel-02 mixed mode (twinax
interactive & batch) @ http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies - fax # 812-424-6838