  • Subject: Re: Internal email for small 400 customer
  • From: Philipp Rusch <Philipp.Rusch@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 00:51:05 +0200

Hi Phil,

here is the way it works for me:

you create another addressbook besides your personal ab with messenger
(ctrl-shift-2,
then file/new addressbook), this generates an empty file xyz.na2. You have to
put in one
single contact by hand so that the list in that book ist not empty, this will
netscape let
accept this file. This is now your template, you can copy it on a shared folder
in your net,
rename it and give everybody access rights to it.
Then you add to the prefs.js config file of netscape the following lines:

// Netscape User Preferences
// This is not a generated file!  You got to edit for your purposes!!!

user_pref("ldap_2.servers.test.csid", "iso-8859-1");
user_pref("ldap_2.servers.test.description", "test");
user_pref("ldap_2.servers.test.dirType", 2);
user_pref("ldap_2.servers.test.filename", "K:\\shared_dir\\addressbook.na2");
user_pref("ldap_2.servers.test.isOffline", false);
user_pref("ldap_2.servers.test.locale", "German_Germany");
user_pref("ldap_2.servers.test.position", 3);
user_pref("ldap_2.version", 2);

In this example the name of the addressbook that appears in messenger is "test"
and
the shared drive/folder is "K:\shared_dir\" while the file itself is
"addressbook.na2"
Notice the double backslashes in prefs.js, netscape only accepts this format.
The rest you better take from your template you created with the method above,
because these depend much on your local version of nescape ...

HTH and gets you going for a test, the only problem I found is that users
sometimes
get confused about what is their personal addressbook and what is public, you
could
of course set your network access rights to write protect that *.na2 file or at
least hinder
people from deleting it.

Regards from germany, Philipp