Backup Recovery Wish list.... Item #1 ...

Maybe someday IBM will redesign the IPL process to allow the SAVSYS process
to run during an IPL. Wouldn't it be nice if you could do something like
this:

PWRDWNSYS OPTION(*IMMED) RESTART(*YES) SAVSYS(*YES) SAVEXIT(Exit_Pgm1)

The system would be powered down, restarted, perform a system save while in
a restrictive state and then run an exit program that could either restart
the system or continue the backup process....

Can anyone think of a reason why IBM couldn't make something like this
happen?

Well, there are a number of considerations.  SAVSYS assumes that you have
communication with a console to answer QSYSOPR messages, like mount the
next tape.

If you wanted SAVSYS before the powerdown, that could be easily written
today.  Wanting SAVSYS after the restart is preferable, because you likely
would have PTFs applied.

Probably the most reasonable request to IBM would be to do SAVSYS to save
files.  However SAVSYS writes a series of tape files, and the current save
file implementation is one tape file per *SAVF.  As a *SAVF is really just
like a single member 528 byte PF, it might be reasonable to ask IBM to
implement a multimembered SAVF, however IMHO, I do not think that they will
feel that this is not strategic enough for their investment..

Al

Al Barsa, Jr.
Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

400>390