  • Subject: backups on AS/400, objects missing -- auto-run procedures
  • From: Schmuel <schmuel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 13:51:25 -0400

Hi Mid-Range,

    I'm the fella with a lot of 36 background occasionally throwing out op
system questions on the AS/400

   Our backup is the one that does all the libraries, so QS36F shows up as
one file in the Catalog command..
   I did a restore of the library (of data files), giving it a new library
name,, and it said that four objects didn't restore ..
    (I don't remember the exact msg, something like 12104 of 12108 objects
restored...), and a couple of those
  were very important files that I wanted to use for back reports (and I
shudder if that happened on a crash)..
   I also did a DSPTAP with the *SAVREST parameter (something like that)
and looked at the report and
  again those same objects (data files) are missing.. and their separate
indexed files are there and usless on a restore..

   I *doubt* if there was any renaming going on on those files, the save
was probably done in a dedicated mode
and that would be highly unlikely in any circumstances...

   So what are some of the possible things that are going on .. ??

    Is there a possible glitch on the save ?  In 10+ years I never saw
anything like that ..
      .. well on the 36 you could make the mistake of saving the index and
not the physical file..)
    Should I switch to a object by object type save, or the S36 Save All
equivalent ?
       (taking account of which program libraries etc..)

    Any analysis, thoughts or ideas on this appreciated..

    I am checking a couple of other day saves to see if this is occuring
identically...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

   What are the names (or naming convention) of the auto-run procedure on
the AS/400
   (On the SSP I just used my own procedure with WAIT  Time-xxxxxx)
   The name of the CMD, nuances as to where to find them in PDM etc, would
be nice..

   My manuel situation is slim, do have one of those popular books.. where
are those manuels ? hmmmmm

  Thank you..

Steven Avery
Programmer,