Walden,

No flames, but - the theory sounds better than the reality that I
experienced using EXACTLY this scheme back in '93.  Modern systems will
differ in details, but the I suspect the lesson learned may still apply.

System: F45, 80 MB main storage, running MAPICS/db as the primary
application and V2R2 of OS/400.

ASP 1: 4 9332-600's, mirrored (if you've forgotten, 9332's had 2 arms per
unit, so I had a net 8 arms for reads, 4 for writes)

ASP 2: Two trays of 9337-220's, RAID 5 (I don't remember exactly how many
drives in the units, but this ASP wasn't the bottleneck)

ASP 3: A pair of ancient EMC Guardian drives (9335 equivalents - 2 arms per
unit as far as the /400 could tell, but actually 4 arms per unit internally)
mirrored

ASP 3 was for journal receivers, and it was only a bottleneck on rare
occasions (heavy batch updates).  ASP 2 was never a problem.  ASP 1 was
working its arms to death much of the time, with low CPU utilization and
high numbers of page faults in the machine pool.  Doubling the size of the
machine pool from the "normal" value reduced the problem a bit, but did not
cure it.  The capacity utilization in ASP 1 was normally below 50%, although
tasks that built large objects in QTEMP (such as occasional queries and
certain MAPICS batch jobs) occasionally pushed it up to about 75%.

When V2R3 came out, we got the ability to mix mirrored and RAID drives in
the same ASP.  When we consolidated ASP's 1 and 2, we saw a tremendous
improvement, EVEN THOUGH we had not redistributed the operating system or
LPP's on the drives (the data had to be restored from tape when we made the
change, since the "old" ASP 1 wasn't big enough to hold it while we made a
copy).  The theory was that having the extra arms available for the many
temporary objects that OS/400 uses was what made the difference.  Had we
done a full restore, we probably would have seen some additional
improvement, but we didn't get the time to do that and it was running "good
enough" - finally!

Dave Shaw
Simpsonville, SC
---
If you would like to participate in the MAPICS-L mailing list send email to
MAPICS-L-SUB@midrange.com or go to www.midrange.com and follow the
instructions.