  • Subject: Disk & Controller questions
  • From: D.BALE@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 18:51:00 -0400

Regarding the 6501 controller (fwiw: on a V3R7 9406-510 in an expansion unit):
 - Does the 6501 support RAID protection?
 - Does the 6501 support mirrored protection?
 - The AS/400 System Handbook says that "One #6501 can support two 9337s or
2105s".  We have four 9337 drives we'd like to add (they're actually EMC(2)
equivalents).  Do they mean two 9337 *drives* or two 9337 disk array
subsystems?  Do the four 9337 drives make up one disk array subsystem?  (Note
that this 6501 question is for a different system than the one I was referring
to in the "more DASD!!!" thread I authored earlier this week.  Thanks Doug,
Larry, & others!)

Also, I'm getting an "education" from my boss, and his boss, and *his* boss,
who are all mainframe and NT wonks.  They are asking me if the mirrored drives
are RAID-1 and whether they are "striped" or "non-striped".  I have only heard
of RAID-5 protection on the AS/400.  Also, after digging around SST and the
system handbook, I am seeing that there apparently are different kinds of
mirroring - controller or IOP or bus.  Do I care about this?  Are any of these
"better" than the others?

Another quote from the system handbook: "A RAID controller is necessary when
concurrent maintenance support is required."  What the heck is that all about?
 What is "concurrent maintenance support"?

Sheesh.  I shoulda gone to COMMON.  :-(

TIA.

- Dan
Dan Bale says "BAN DALE!"