  • Subject: Re: Automatic Update of Display Window
  • From: Scott Klement <klemscot@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 09:52:04 -0500 (CDT)

You're half-right...

the purpose of INVITE is to allow the user to type input from the screen
prior to you actually doing a READ from it.   This is useful for
applications where your program may be outputting to several different
terminals at once, and needs to get input only from the FIRST one to press
ENTER.

Or you could use INVITE to put a screen up that continually updates, while
monitoring for F3 to be pressed to stop it...

The point is, INVITE allows input from the screen, which is one step more
than just re-displaying it.   This can cause complications if that's not
what the programmer is intending.

The FRCDTA keyword allows the screen to be displayed immediately upon a
WRITE to the screen.   With FRCDTA the keyboard remains locked until you
do an actual READ from the screen -- this way, if you didn't WANT to allow
input, you don't :)

Hope this helps...