  • Subject: a cume install time estimation formula
  • From: "Steve Richter" <srichter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 10:50:43 -0400

people,

here is my suggestion for a formula ibm could use to estimate cume ptf install time:

( NbrPtf_In_Cume * CdLoadTimePerPtf ) +
(( ( NbrPtfToBeLoaded + NbrPtfOnTheSys ) * TimeForEachPtfOnCpw1Sys )  / CpwOfTargetSys )

All times in milli seconds.

note: My formula assumes that a cpw 100 system will apply a ptf 10 times as fast as a cpw 10 system. Even if this is wrong, there must still be a way, using the cpw rating of the system, to calc the relative rate at which the system can apply an average ptf.

Ibm would provide an option 51 = Calc cume ptf load time estimate on the Go LicPgm menu.

NbrPtf_In_Cume is count of all ptf on the cume. Those that apply to pgm products on the system and those that do not.

NbrPtfToBeLoaded is count of all ptf on the cume that apply to pgm products on the system.

NbrPtfOnTheSys is count of all ptf currently on the target system. The more ptf currently on the system, the more ptf that will have to be perm applied and superceded during the cume load.

TimeForEachPtfOnCpw1Sys. On a system with cpw speed of 1, the time required to perm apply a new ptf or to perm apply an existing ptf.

The first part of the formula calcs the time needed to copy the ptf's from the cd to the system. I assume the speed of the cd is the same on all system.

The 2nd part of the formula multiplies the time needed on a cpw1 speed system to apply a single ptf by the total nbr of ptfs that will have to be applied.

The 3rd part of the formula tries to factor how long it will take the actual target system to apply the ptf's.

Steve Richter