  • Subject: RE: Intelligent Reorg #2
  • From: D.BALE@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 09:54:00 -0400

Boy, then I really read a LOT into that, didn't I? <g>  I just re-read his
post; I'm not sure how I missed his point.  We've been really pressed here for
reorgs on a couple of huge files but we don't have the disk space necessary to
do them without getting well into the "90% threshold".  So, we're looking to
develop a home-grown solution (read: "free") for something that happens very
infrequently.

I know what you mean, though, about not recovering any deleted space.  I
actually thought about this on the way home on Friday (committed, I tell ya!).
 The $64,000 question is, if you squeeze all of the deleted records to the end
of the file, does a RGZPFM on that file work faster than if you didn't do the
"squeeze"?  Would RGZPFM be smart enough (doubt it) on a reorg with no
reordering by key to realize that there are only deleted records at the end of
the file and just "chop" off the deleted records so that the next record added
to the file appears at RRN+1 of the last non-deleted record in the file?

- Dan
Dan Bale says "BAN DALE!"
IT - AS/400
Handleman Company