  • Subject: Re: archive.midrange.com
  • From: David Gibbs <david@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 11:19:57 -0500 (CDT)

> Is it just me (probably is!), or is the archive.midrange.com site always
> painfully slow?  More than a few times I have posted to the list as opposed to
> waiting for the site to respond to several link clicks.  It's hard for me to
> juggle two tasks at once (click on an archive link, switch back over to some
> other task for a few minutes, switch back to the archive, ad infinitum); and,
> yes, you would be correct, I cannot walk and chew gum at the same time!

Well, the speed of archive.midrange.com (and faq.midrange.com, and
store.midrange.com, etc) is due to Northpoint DSL going casters up.

The server that runs the sites (except www.midrange.com) is located at
a friends house who had DSL through Northpoint.  When northpoint went
kaput, so did my friends connection.  His ISP, however, provided him
with dialup backup so he could peg his 56k modem and continue to route
his IP's.

My friend is currently working on getting a new DSL provider, so speed
should get better.  It won't be as good as before, as the DSL service
is going to be different (ADSL as aposed to SDSL).

My goal is to move the server back to my house once I get SDSL service
of my own.  I'm waiting, however, for the current DSL provider financial
situation to stabalize before moving ahead with the plan.

> Note that this is NOT a slam on David!  David, what would it take to improve
> the response time for the archive site?  Is the collection plate out there
> somewhere?

There is :)  Visit http://www.midrange.com/contributions.htm for information.

david