  • Subject: Fwd: My Attitude
  • From: DAsmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 01:38:31 EDT

Folks,

This has got to be one of the greatest responses I've ever read.  I cannot
believe that he's not a list member...

Enjoy!

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

"May all your troubles last as long as your New Years' resolutions." -- Joey
Adams

In a message dated 5/8/01 3:44:48 PM US Eastern Standard Time, DAsmussen
writes:

> Mr. Curtis:
>  I am an independent contractor; DTC ® is my incorporated business. I
travel.

>  I am responding to your posting on the ComputerJobs.com web site.  I am
> impressed with your matter-of-fact attitude toward the industry with regard
> to the skills that you are seeking.  I have been in the business for over
> twenty-two year, and consider myself to be an OS/400 expert.  In
> consideration that as of the October, 2000 announcement, IBM no longer
> manufacturers a product called the AS/400 (. . .having renamed the hardware
> as the e-something i-series) but continuing to market the operating system
as
> OS/400, I am going to refer to the system as OS/400.
>
>  I have attached my resume in Acrobat PDF* format.  The first page is a
> capabilities overview onto which I have tried to pack as much information
as
> possible -- there is no information regarding hobbies, expectation for the
> future of my career, or vague references expressing my desire to feed all
of
> the starving children in the world.  Keywords such as COBOL means that I
> write expert COBOL for the OS/400 application environment.  RPG means that
> write expert RPG's for the OS/400 application environment.   EDI means that
> understand the ASC X12 standard and EDI/400 means that I know how to
> implement Premenos' product.  Unix/C means that I have design and written
> advanced real-time unix applications using the C language.  The additional
> pages contain selected project abstracts without regard to chronology; work
> for some clients spans more than a decade.
>
>  I will be fifty-two years old in July.  I am encountering an attitude that
> am outside the "bleeding edge" to which you refer.  For example, DB2 is a
hot
> topic these days.  Well . . ., DB2 was invented as the integrated data base
> that has always been part and parcel of OS/400 since it was introduced by
the
> old IBM General Systems Division with the System/38 (which was renamed
AS/400,
>  which has now been renamed as the i-series).  IBM was loosing market share
> to Oracle, SCO, etc., because most people did not realize that the AS/400
> came with a database; therefore, only recently, some marketing consultant
> recommended that IBM give it a name, ergo, DB2.  My point is that a OS/400
> applications programmer/analyst/software engineer/developer/ad nauseam
cannot
> design OS/400 applications without a thorough knowledge of the integrated
> data base, i.e., DB2.  In consideration that I have worked with OS/400
since
> the inception on the S/38 equipment, I insist that I have twenty-years
> experience working with DB2.  I know how to design and implement databases
> for OS/400.  I know how to write the DDS (data description specifications).

> I understand externally described data structures.  I understand the
analogy
> of the field reference file to a data dictionary.  I know how to use good
> database design to simplify the HLL (higher level language, e.g., COBOL or
> RPG) coding tasks.
>
>  The ILE (Integrated Language Environment) finally seems to be gaining
> acceptance these days.  Around 1994 when it was announced by IBM (e.g., AS/
> 400 ILE RPG/400 Programmer's Guide, Version 3, First Edition, September,
1994,
>  Copyright International Business Machines Corporation), most traditional
OPM
> (Original Program Model) shops were afraid of it by nature of no conceptual
> understanding of it.  First of all, the concept requires a very structured
> approach to program design; secondly, the object oriented analogy of
modular,
> service programs, etc. to components of function-oriented languages such a
> or FORTRAN was (. . .and still is ?) alien to most OPM COBOL and RPG
> programmers.   I have integrated languages such as COBOL and RPG long
before
> IBM coined the ILE acronym.  In fact, the architectural model was first
> conceived by Brian Kernighan, Dennis Ritchie, Ken Thompson, and others,
i.e.,
> the inventors of Unix starting about 1969 at Bell Labs Murray Hill, NJ
site.
> Marc Rochkind wrote the unix make system for modular application project
> design and management.  My point is that I started Unix/C development in
1985.
>   I don't appreciate being told that I don't understand the ILE
environment.
> In fact, I love it!  I am so glad that the old S/34 RPGph (PreHistoric)
goto
> branching, six thousand-plus lines of code, panacea programs are
disappearing.

>  Lately, I am seeing more requests for skills such as SQL, FTP,
> xyzReportWriters, etc.  Of course I use System Query Language or File
> Transfer Protocol when appropriate or necessary.  An SQL is not a real
> programming language.  It is a tool that can be used by accountants or art
> students.  I typically find that the task for which I am employed cannot be
> completed because of the limitations of the SQL.  In fact, this is why I am
> employed as a programmer -- because the accountant cannot make SQL do what
he
> or she wants to accomplish with SQL.  Usually, my clients would rather pay
me
> to write COBOL or RPG, rather than SQL.  Occasionally, I may embed an SQL
> instruction in a COBOL or RPG instruction.  (In the past, I never
considered
> SQL important enough to include on my resume. . .)
>
>  HTML, XML, . . .whatever, are not programming languages, rather they are
> formatting tools, just as word processing systems such as MicrosoftWord or
> Corel WordPerfect.  Interface extensions such as JAVA Beans do cloud the
> issue; however, user interface shells such as Visual Age for JAVA, Front
Page,
>  etc. provide code generation functions that used to be considered
functions
> of CASE (computer assisted software engineering) systems.  Again, I insist
> that when art students can use the tools to design web pages, it is not
> programming.  It is formatting.  So today, I am adding HTML to my resume --
> Is this document not coded in HTML?
>
>  What do I know about the Internet?  Well, I know that while working at
Bell
> Laboratories, Murray Hill, New Jersey, D. A. Nowitz and M. E. Lesk, on
August
> 18, 1978, published a paper titled A Dial-Up Network of UNIX Systems.
Nowitz