  • Subject: Re: how is system geared down?
  • From: Larry Bolhuis <lbolhuis@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 23:06:58 -0400

Alexei,

 Thank you for your explanations. I am afraid that I may have added fuel
to the fire with my suggestion that 'NoOps' might be added based on some
theoretical componant in each model.

 You are certainly correct about MHZ. It is much the same as comparing
the RPM of my brothers BMW 4Cyl to his friends Viper V10. The BMW kicks
the Vipers A** on the tachometer but the Viper has more horsepower at
2000 RPM than the Bmer at 6K! As he says, 'not a fair fight', the Viper
will pass anything but a Gas station.

 A simalair comparison can be made of my laptop with 300Mhz PII and a
desktop I have with a PII300. Should be the same? Nope. The laptop has
double the memory both run W2K. The Desktop machine has a string of
FWSCSI drives in an array. THe laptop a single IDE drive. Likely the
video card comparison isn't even either, but the desktop wins in every
column. I hate working on big presentations on the laptop, they seem to
be sleeping half the time.

 Where the rubber hits the road for me is where you compare two iSeries
systems with identical processors running at similair Mhz but seeing
nearly three to one CPW increases (ie 270-2250 and 2252). Yes Cache is a
factor but other than that those machines support identical Disk and I/O
configurations, including number of arms, speed of arms, speed of IOPS.

 Nonetheless I personally am NOT accusing IBM of cheating in any way. My
comments were intended to SUPPORT different speed machines built with
standardized componants. The suggestion of NoOps was just one way that
seemed to be consistant with results seen 'at the track'. If IBM
accomplishes the same thing by adjusting cache size, memory size, IOP
throughput, or cooling fan speed for that matter, is of little
consequence as I see it.

 In any case that is MY last word on the matter.

 - Larry

--
Larry Bolhuis           | Cogito ergo mercari iSeries
Arbor Solutions, Inc.   |