  • Subject: Re: QDBJRN increased activity
  • From: "Alexei Pytel" <pytel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 19:51:16 -0500

Look at the list of files, journaled into QDBJRN.
As I said before, QDBJRN services QADB* files, so it receives lots of
entries if these files are being updated.
This can be file creation/deletion, but also creating/removing constraints,
stored procedures, SQL packages, SQL user-defined types and functions, etc.

If you have lots of activity in this journal, you should also see increased
activity from QDBSRVn jobs.
Try to understand what's causing it.

These messages by themselves are not a problem - system normally does not
require any management of this journal. You do not need to keep receivers
for this journal on system - and do not need to save them. In fact by
default it's set to delete receivers.
I think, default threshold for this journal is 15000K. You may want to
increase it, then you will get fewer messages.

Best regards
    Alexei Pytel
System Performance III
Dept XQK/006-2    Rochester, MN
(507) 253- 2867 or T/L 553-2867
Internet:  pytel@us.ibm.com  VM mail: IBMUSM07(PYTEL)

"Pessimist is nothing but a well-informed optimist"

                    fiona.fitzgerald@notes.ro

                    yalsun.com                      To:
<MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com>
                    Sent by:                        cc:

                    owner-midrange-l@midrange       Subject:     Re: QDBJRN
increased activity
                    .com

                    05/09/2001 04:39 PM

                    Please respond to

                    MIDRANGE-L

Thanks, Alexei,
          I'm very familar with the journallling process; my concern is
that we haven't had this escalated
creation of journal receivers before for a Qrecovery library. We've
encountered it during Y2K & Euro testing, where vast amounts of (copies of)
production files were being updated at weekends, and the test -journalling
spiralled. I interpreted this having as a known cause & the decision was
made, not to resize the receivers, as it was an atypical growth, but to
suspend journalling on some files & delete receivers as we went along on
most.

     So now I see it happening again, & this time populating a journal in
QRECOVERY. My concerns are;

- What's causing the increase & how can I tell ?
     (What kind of objects are affected - does it warrant a change in
system administration & monitoring)
- If the changes are being stored to facilitate recovery of part of the DB,
should we be throwing receivers away so fast ?     (System-managed, delete
on chgjrnrcv, threshold is currently 5,000, so the receivers are being
zapped faster than they could be backed up)

All suggestions gratefully received,

Thanks, Fiona

MIDRANGE-L-UNSUB@midrange.com.
david@midrange.com