Hi Chris,
Due to holidays I've only just seen your message. Obviously to really solve
your problem you need to shell out for more interactive welly from IBM,
however there IS some damage limitation you can do. I have had some success
with the following technique:
1) Reduce the activity level in QINTER to 7 or less (aiming to restrict
interactive work)
2) Check that the timeslice of the QINTER class is something like 300
(depending on the size of your box) - not the shipped default 2000 - if
2000, change it.
3) Ensure that your other work (batch, query, etc) does not run at normal
priority (i.e. 50 for batch) - raise these priorities to 35, say.
This will prevent the situation where, as soon as CFINT kicks in, all the
jobs get their priorities reduced to 89 and the system feels like you're
trying to walk through treacle! OK, some users will have to wait when their
interactive jobs go 'ineligible', but this is the price you pay for avoiding
total system sludge mode.
You could also get interactive users to 'schedule' their work - i.e. orders
in the morning, accounts in the afternoon etc - like we used to do years
ago!
The priority thing is because IBM have so called 'bands' of priority, and
when an active job gets downgraded it goes to the next 'band' down.
If you want any more info, or help, please e-mail me offline and I'll see
what I can do,
cheers,
Clare

Clare Holtham
IBM Certified AS/400 Systems Administrator
SmallBlue Services
E-Mail: Clare.Holtham@btinternet.com
Mobile: +44 (0)7960 665958