  • Subject: AS/400 heritage
  • From: Jon.Paris@xxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 11:54:18 -0400

 >> You would think it is a good idea, you are drinking the same water eLou
is.

It sounds as if you think that I work for IBM - I don't - and I live in
Toronto so I certainly don't drink the same water as Lou.  I don not
absolve IBM of their pathetic failure to adequately market the iSeries -
not only do I continue to criticize them for this publicly, but I did so
both publicly and privately when I worked for them.

 >> What would be the point of iSeries running a series like I suggest?  It
would have no value if, AS WITH ALL OTHER IBM MARKETING OF THE ISERIES, it
was targeted at and only sent to the current customer base.

I think we are in violent agreement here.  If you are only going to preach
to the choir - what's the point.  I have no idea how one goes outside the
customer base with this kind of article, and frankly I don't think your
idea would float because they wouldn't read it.  Anyway, as someone else
has suggested, I would argue that a series detailing the wonderful history,
investment protection, massive growth in capacity and power, etc. etc. is a
great idea to show people what they are missing.

Even if you could spread the word I'm not convinced it would work.  I'm of
the opinion that the "mindless propaganda" style of advertising that
Malcolm Haines initiated in the UK and which (hopefully) iNation will lead
to here, is the only way to go.  If factual advertising was what worked, MS
would be out of business "where do you want to go today" or even better
"Buy Windows 2000 - it doesn't crash as often".

Anyway - I've been in these debates for too many years and I'm tired - IBM
will do what IBM will do.