  • Subject: Re: AS/400 heritage
  • From: "Jim Franz" <franz400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 08:16:20 -0400

i actually think ibm DOES need to market to several communities, not only
the "new sales", but there is a VERY large community of old as400s, s36s,
or the 436s, people who need to be convinced the iSeries is the place to go,
not NT. Many on the old 400s are unaware (because they are not in this list)
that the new 400s are java capable, or even rpg capable web servers, etc.
Two days ago, the CTO at a customer asked me if the 400 (720 at v4r5)
could read/write xml! He's been a manager in 2 diff 400 shops for many
years, and still has no idea what the machine can do. His head is stuck
in old BPCS apps & edi. Has no clue what else the machine is capable of.
To him, webserving & xml & java & all the new stuff is for the pc crew,
especially when he reads how "easy" it is to setup websphere on the 400 (a
big problem).
For the "new sales", I think the "it exists" ad is very effective, if it
ever gets
out of the closet.
jim