  • Subject: Re: How are CPU Speed and Overall CPW Related?
  • From: "Neil Palmer" <neilp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 01:47:33 -0400

IBM didn't come up with the name Magic Box from nowhere.  Rochester has
had it's box of magic tricks for restricting performance on the cheaper
models for many years.  It's no co-incidence that a 170-2290 has 1/3 the
CPW rating of a 2292.
A 270-2248 & 2250 are both 400Mhz Pulsar processors, yet one has a CPW of
150 and the other 270.   Besides, you are trying to compare performance
between an Apache and Northstar processor - so there are other things to
consider, like cache for example, in the two different designs.
It's no different than a car manufacturer selling several versions of
basically the same engine, with the more expensive versions tuned for
higher performance.

...Neil

"Nathan M. Andelin" <nathanma@haaga.com>
Sent by: owner-midrange-l@midrange.com