  • Subject: Remote Management (wasRe: Ops Console (was RE:full system save))
  • From: Evan Harris <spanner@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 18:07:39 +1200

Dan

I'm in a similar boat to you, in that I have a number of machines I manage
remotely.

The one thing that has always bought my thoughts on remote management and
Ops Console to a standstill is that the jobs I really want good remote
access for have to be done on site.

Changing tapes, of course, but that kinda goes without saying and I can
monitor that stuff fairly easily.

But loading licensed programs, installing new versions or Cumulative
CD's... ANYTHING that needs access to the CD drive is a royal PITA.

Why can I share my AS/400 CD drive to the Windows network but not to
another AS/400 on the network ?

Without this capability, I always kind of give up on the remote management
thing as in my own mind I just can't quite get enough functionality out of
it to justify setting it up. If I could do this I would get Ops Console up
and running in a flash. Well start the process in a flash at least <g>

Has anyone solved this particular problem or have I just totally missed the
boat on something obvious ?

regards
Evan Harris

>Yes, I thought I've heard Al bash it, too.  I found a reference in the
>archives where he is quoted as saying "Ops Console doesn't work well".  I
>forgot to note how old that post was.  Perhaps Ops Console has matured by now?
>
>As a company with AS/400s in five very remote locations, three of which have
>no operations staff (save for someone who changes the backup tapes daily), we
>need to get to the point where we can have the most possible absolute control
>of these systems from our HQ location.  The best scenario is where I can have
>system console access as well as system panel access from my desktop.
<SNIP>