  • Subject: RE: full system save. Option 21
  • From: D.BALE@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 09:09:00 -0400

I'm really stretching my memory on this one, so bear with me if I get way out
of whack.

Several years ago when I was a programmer / system operator for this one
client, I wrote the backup app from scratch.  Because of the available tape
capacity and the time allocated, I was able to do essentially a SAVE 21:
SAVSYS, SAVLIB *ALLUSR, SAVDLO, SAV.  My application had a DLYJOB RSMTIME
after the INZTAP, and at 1:00 (?) in the morning, the app took the system to a
restricted state (ENDSBS).  Since I didn't get in until 9:00 and we had people
on the shop floor coming in at 6:00 a.m., the AS/400 *HAD* to be up and
running.  There was no allowance for messages waiting to be answered and I
didn't particularly care to be answering phone calls that early.

So, I didn't worry about break messages.  I globally monitored a CPF0000 &
MCH0000 (others?), and quickly figured out which messages I had to monitor,
and take specific action for, and made those changes to the program.  Before
long, the global MONMSG never got hit.

Now, I suppose that if the SAVE 21 being run and is being watched by someone
(a nighttime operator), then allowing messages to break is probably a good
idea.

Dan Bale
IT - AS/400
Handleman Company