  • Subject: RE: Performance Question
  • From: Glenn Birnbaum <gbirnba@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 17:47:14 -0700

The reason to use a separate memory pool for the SETOBJACC objects is to
make sure it is big enough to hold the files and to prevent parts of these
files from being purged from that memory by job activity.  In other words,
if the subsystem is managing active jobs in the same pool of memory that the
SETOBJACC files have been loaded, you have no easy way of preventing the
system from purging pages of memory that the files may be loaded in if those
pages of memory have not been referenced.  This is exactly what you were
trying to prevent.

If you want to have a private memory pool in the same subsystem as the users
jobs, then just make sure there are no routing entries that would place jobs
in that pool.  For example, a subsystem could have memory pool 1 out of
*BASE for the subsystem monitor, memory pool 2 which is referenced in the
routing entries to run jobs (could be a shared pool), and memory pool 3
which should have a specific amount of memory allocated that matches the
files sizes and is not referenced by any routing entry in the subsystem.
The SETOBJACC command would then reference memory pool 3 of this subsystem.
This is one subsystem, but the configuration still ensures that the files
are in one memory pool and the programs/jobs executing in another.

As others have said, this technique sometimes sounds like it would improve
performance, but in practice many times has little effect.  If the files
were really heavily used and only 20mb in size, it's likely OS400 would have
already cache'd those objects.  Since you only need 20mb of memory, it
should be easy to try it out and get some comparsions.......

Good Luck,
Glenn