  • Subject: Re: Disk upgrade and IOP compatibility - followup
  • From: barsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 16:15:37 -0400

Many years ago, I did some study of third party drives.  As it turns out,
the third party drives "look like" IBM hardware, so the AS/400 attempts to
download the fixes to the third party hardware on IPL.  As the third party
drives never really get the upgrade, it is redownloaded on every subsequent
IPL, forevermore slowing down the IPL process.  (The slow down in fact is
trivial, but every extra second helps.)

The third parties sometimes upgrade their own code using patches that
typically physically reside on "e-proms" in the hardware, causing the
AS/400 to now think that the PTF was applied.

One of the reasons that customers chose AS/400s to run their businesses is
that they are buying one integrated product from one company.  When the
logical product breaks, you make one service call and say "please fix it".
(It should be noted that there are times that the first of those three
words is omitted.)  AS/400s keep you out of the computer business, and
doing your own business.

Al

Al Barsa, Jr.
Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

400>390

914-251-1234
914-251-9406 fax

http://www.barsaconsulting.com
http://www.taatool.com

                    Larry Bolhuis

                    <lbolhuis@arbsol.co        To:     MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com

                    m>                         cc:

                    Sent by:                   Subject:     Re: Disk upgrade
and IOP compatibility - followup
                    owner-midrange-l@mi

                    drange.com

                    04/16/01 03:44 PM

                    Please respond to

                    MIDRANGE-L

William,

  Do remember that occasionally IBM sends PTFs that actually end up
getting downloaded to the drives. This does not happen for 3rd party
drives (or more correctly, when it does the results are as they say
"unpredicable"). It is possible that some of the PTFs may be for the
drives to work with your controller (as opposed to the controller
working with your drives) in which case they will have no affect on the
3rd party drives.

 - Larry

--
Larry Bolhuis                  | Cogito ergo mercari iSeries
Arbor Solutions, Inc.          |
MIDRANGE-L-UNSUB@midrange.com.
david@midrange.com