  • Subject: Re: V5R1 Library List Enhancement (was: PRTCMDUSG RTVJOBA)
  • From: Martin Rowe <martin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 20:35:55 +0100

On Friday 06 April 2001 17:06, barsa@barsaconsulting.com wrote:
<snipped>
> What IBM should have done (and should still do in a future release of
> the system) is add this feature as a system value, allow the system
> value to default into an attribute of a job description, and at job
> initiation time, the value should be propagated to the job.  The value
> needs to be consistently added to both the native AS/400 functionality,
> and the System/38 compatibility command set.  (This sounds like a lot
> of work, but it's really trivial.  In fact the current PTF is
> inconsistently applied over the native commands and the System/38
> commands.)  It also needs to be extended to save/restore.  I have
> privately submitted my proposed changes to IBM in detail, and they have
> yet to respond with any intentions to do anything other than file them
> in the circular file.

Reading the IBM page[1], a must read if you haven't already done so, it
seems they do have a switch to control this, albeit a temporary one. V5R1
will ship with a data area QUSRSYS/QLILMTLIBL, the existence of which
prevents more than 25 libraries being added to the user portion of the
library list through any of the interfaces affected. The release after
V5R1 requires you create this yourself, and after that it will have no
effect. It does give a bit of breathing space, but as Al points out (in
the snipped out section from above) it's not very comforting if you don't
have the source :-(

Our company has been fortunate:
- we have the source code for the majority of our applications, with the
others covered by maintenance agreements.
- we have a cross ref tool (in our case Hawkeye) that can identify uses
of RTVJOBA and the various API affected.
- it turns out we only have a handful of routines that needed changing,
and I was able to make them V5R1 ready yesterday.

It is a fairly insidious change though - I need to post an update to one
of my open source tools (CHKLVLCHK) now, as it's among the handful
affected :-(

Regards, Martin

[1] http://www.iseries.ibm.com/developer/os400/lib_list.html
--