  • Subject: RE: Performance Review
  • From: "Ed Chabot" <echabot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 15:58:21 -0400

Scott,
I understand what you are saying and have been through that.  I know it
bugged the sh*t out of me when, working as a P/A, when my boss pulled the
same crap.  I have had pretty good success not doing the same to my people.
All it takes is for your boss to make a list of the open items, have someone
or some group (the higher on the totem pole the better) prioritize and fight
over the resources that are available.  For this to work, your boss needs
for you and your peers to brush up on your estimating skills so that he can
tell upper management how long each project will take, and thus cost.  Then,
this is the great part, they decide which projects are worth the time/money
required and which projects will benefit the company most.  All your boss
does after this is manage the list.  All you and your fellow P/As do is hit
your deadlines and get better at your estimating.  Once upper management
understands that there are resource constraints and time/money involved in
all of these projects you'll be surprised at a)how many projects get
scratched off the list, b) how much dedicated time you'll get on the project
you're working on and c) how upper management starts looking at I.S. as a
resource instead of an expense.  Sure, every now and then you have to break
off and fight a fire but that will never change.

Ed Chabot
The Marlin Firearms Company
100 Kenna Drive
North Haven, CT 06473