  • Subject: RE: What About Price vs. Performance?
  • From: "Joe Pluta " <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 11:02:15 -0500

No, Scott, it's my rather extensive experience with business application
development in Unix and OS/400.  I was the Manager of Architecture at System
Software Associates and responsible for the overall architecture of nearly two
million lines of RPG code, 1/3 of which I designed and perhaps 10% of which I
actually coded.  In addition, I designed and oversaw the development of over 2
million lines of C code under OS/2 for our graphical client/server development
- I wrote about 20% of that code.

When SSA decided to move to Unix (to support the platform independence that
Leif loves so much, and that ultimately killed the company) I was the lead
architect for the project which implemented all the basic functions of OS/400
that weren't implemented in Unix, or at least weren't compatible with how the
AS/400 worked, such as OVRxxxF, output queues, program calls, message files,
program message queues, job descriptions and the like.  We basically had to
emulate each of the OS/400 system objects and the standard OS/400 commands such
as SNDPGMMSG and SBMJOB.

I was also involved with the conversion of native I/O to SQL.  I spent a lot of
time trying to get Sybase to work, as well as Oracle.  Compared to DB2/400,
both are incredible dogs, especially as file sizes reach the million-record
mark.  Neither can support the level of data-driven database navigation
required for an enterprise-level business application.  Today's BPCS is a
bloated, careening mess, where what originally took 4,000 lines of RPG now
takes some 44,000 lines of tool-generated SQLRPG.

So, yes, I'm pretty anti-Unix and anti-SQL, but I've got a lot of very good
experience behind me to back up my opinion.  I have programmed my share of
Unix, more than I care to, and while I love Unix (and awk and grep and yacc)
for text processing (which is what web serving is all about, when you get down
to it), it will never be an industrial-strength transaction-processing
environment.

In my opinion.

Joe